Today, Ubuntu has announced the fund raising campaign for hardware for the Ubuntu Phone. The hardware is named
Ubuntu Edge and as Indiegogo site describes it, it’s got to be next step in the evolution of Mobile Phones. Ubuntu Edge, though not being much new in terms of Mobile Technology (it comes with support for GSM/3G/LTE Networks),
in the sense that there won’t be a new 5G or anything, it adds whopping firepower enough to obliterate entry level PC/Laptop markets. An excerpt of the technical specifications from Indiegogo page shown below:
Technical Specifications of Ubuntu Edge Ubuntu Phone:
* Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
* Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
* Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
* 4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
* 8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
* Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
* GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
* Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
* MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
* Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
* 64 x 9 x 124mm
Now, if that’s not whopping, I’m the King of India
In order to deliver this hardware by the proposed Ubuntu Phone launch date of May, 2014, a Indiegogo campaign has been launched to raise $32 Million. It is highly pleasing and satisfying to know that around 10% of the fund has already been reached (around $3.2 Million as we speak).
If all the required fund is raised within 30 days, we might expect to see a mammoth of a smartphone which can double as PC (or the other way?!) by May, 2014.
To the uninitiated, indiegogo is, in short, a community funding collaboration platform that assists individual creators to launch campaigns and raise funds to create something. Do have a look at their website if you are interested in doing something but you’ve not been able to raise enough funds to do so.
Now, with respect to Ubuntu Edge, the advantages of contributing to the campaign are:
- All backers are termed founders of the project ($20 contribution)
- Get a Ubuntu Edge Smartphone (if contribution is $830). This automatically includes the Founder privilege.
- All founders are welcome in Ubuntu Community as a whole
- Of course, the inner peace of supporting FOSS for a cause.
The campaign had a special introductory offer of $600 for Ubuntu Edge for one day. However, this is expired now.
Price of Ubuntu Edge:
The current price of $830 for a Ubuntu Edge Ubuntu Phone seems justified for a phone which promises such a high set of specs, if it arrives. Going by the campaign status, there is no reason why it shouldn’t happen.
If you are an ardent supporter of FOSS, and believe this is a start of an era where money spent is worth what its being spent on, go on and contribute to the campaign at the contribution page.
Viva la FOSS…
So, what’s your take on the Ubuntu Edge Ubuntu Phone? I would like to hear it.. leave comment below. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for updates on this and other interesting FOSS topics.