Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Yield:Unlimited RSS feed subscription
Liferea 1.10 was released on 10 July, 2013. This release contains some interesting enhancements which I wrote about in another post. Don’t miss it.
The distribution package of Liferea available in Ubuntu repositories as of latest 13.04 is 1.85. However, one can download the source and compile it from source. Liferea 1.10 is intended to be compiled against GTK3 libraries. Since this is default starting Ubuntu 12.04, this is not an issue.
- Take a backup of existing feed subscriptions in as a .opml file.
- remove the ~/.liferea and ~/.gconf/apps/liferea folders.
- Uninstall existing liferea installation
$ sudo apt-get remove liferea liferea-data
- Install the required development packages needed to compile Liferea from source. NOTE: if libnotify-dev, libindicate-dev, libindicate-gtk3-dev are not installed, you will not get the Ubuntu Indicator integration.
$ sudo apt-get install intltool libgtk-3-dev libglib2.0-dev libgio2.0-cil-dev libpango1.0-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libsqlite3-dev libsoup2.4-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libjson-glib-dev gobject-introspection gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev libpeas-dev libnotify-dev libindicate-dev libindicate-gtk3-dev
- Download the Liferea 1.10 package from http://liferea.sourceforge.net
- Extract the tar.bz file and change into extracted directory.
- Configure and install
$ sudo make install
- Reboot the system to get the Indicator integration.
Enjoy the new Liferea 1.10.